Muriel and Doris Lester &
The Heritage of the Kingsley Hall Community Centres

   The website of the Kingsley Hall Community Centres Heritage Committee (KHCCHC)

   Email : info@muriellester.org     Copyright  LAPOLLO Systems on behalf of KHCCHC

   Every attempt has been made to ensure no materials are used without permission of copyright

   owners. If you believe we have breached this please contact us to agree appropriate actions.

Welcome to Muriel Lester.Org Muriel Lester Doris Lester Lester Family The Origins of the Kingsley Halls KH Bow KH Dagenham Childrens House Childrens House Dagenham Gandhi Events Locations Heirtage Project Archive Scans Heritage Committee Contact Us Forum

Time Line Plaque click
to see larger

KH Dagenham Buildings

This site is under construction and this page is reserved for the subject indicated above




Space for caravan picture

“FIRST STEP - 1929 - THE MARQUEE

IN 1929 THE WORK OF KINGSLEY HALL WAS BEGUN BY DORIS AND MURIEL LESTER IN A CARAVAN AND MARQUEE STANDING ON WHAT WAS AN OPEN FIELD”


The staff lived in the caravan and the marquee became “the powerhouse of the community”

“SECOND STEP - 1932 - THE OLD HALL”

THIS TEMPORARY BUILDING OF WOOD AND ASBESTOS WAS ERECTED AT A COST OF £800 AND IS STILL IN USE”

It was put  opened by the great Christian socialist, George Lansbury.

“THIRD STEP -1932 - THE NURSERY SCHOOL. A BUILDING SPECIALLY DESIGNED TO BE THE FIRST NURSERY SCHOOL IN ESSEX. NOW THE HOME OF A PIONEER DAY CENTRE FOR HANDICAPPED BABIES AND CHILDREN UNDER FIVE YEARS.THE RESPONSIBILITY OF ESSEX COUNTY COUNCIL.“

This ‘Children’s House’, designed by Charles Cowles-Voysey, was opened by Ishbel MacDonald, daughter or Prime Minister, Ramsay MacDonald to deal with all the children’s work – nursery, Sunday school etc.  Today it is still used for children by the KINDER KAPERS pre school group

“THE FOURTH STEP - THE MAIN BUILDING

COMPLETED JUST BEFORE THE OUTBREAK OF WAR, THIS BUILDING EXTENDED THE WORK AND AND WAS A SOURCE OF STRENGTH TO MANY IN THOSE DARK DAYS”

In 2015 it is used for worship on a Sunday and Tea Dances during the week.

The development of the facilities at Kingsley Hall Dagenham occurred in 5 phases as recorded on this plaque which is titled:

“KINGSLEY HALL DAGENHAM

COMMUNITY CHURCH AND CENTRE

“CHRISTIANITY IN ACTION”



“FIFTH STEP - 1963. MAINTAINING ITS BELIEF IN THE CHURCH AS A FAMILY, THIS FIFTH STEP PROVIDES SIDE BY SIDE A DAILY CENTRE FOR OLD PEOPLE AND A HALL FOR THE YOUNG AND ACTIVE AT A COST OF £45,000.”